Thursday, June 14, 2012

Avocado Kale Salad

It being summer and all.....well somewhere in the world, salads are an every day occurrence. I am no rabbit food eater by any means, my salads are baddass and hearty. Elaine Benice would DIE for my big salads. No joke. lol The one I made the other day was pretty phenomenal. The avocado made it kinda creamy and the lemon made it zesty! 

Avocado Kale Salad
Ingredients
1/2 head kale, chopped
3 handfuls spinach
1 avocado
1 carrot, sliced or shredded
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp mustard
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp hemp seeds
2 tbsp sunflower seeds

Directions:
Wash your hands. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Massage and mix until fully combined. Make sure your avocado is ripe otherwise it won't break up and coat the leaves. Will take 1-2 minutes.

Plant based heaven




I served mine with sauteed garlic mushrooms, tempeh bacon, sprouted mixed beans, and 3 slices of smoked tofu. Obviously you can tell I'm a pig. LOL I eat a lot, but its all good stuff. With the leftovers I basically combined all of the above into a big container and ate it for lunch the next day. Along with some boiled sweet potatoes. :)

For my garlic mushrooms, I saute them without oil, just a tiny splash of water then a pinch of sea salt and garlic powder. My sprouted mixed beans are by TruRoots Organics. The sprouted bean trio. They cook up in 15 mins and then I just tossed them in some Jerk sauce. As for the smoked tofu and tempeh bacon, I just popped it in the oven for 20ish minutes. No seasoning or sauce. None needed.  

Jerk

I have to say, it was a thoroughly satisfying dinner. I am actually gonna make the salad again tomorrow night. It was so freaking yummy. But I'm gonna add some alfalfa or broccoli sprouts too. 

This weekend I was FINALLY able to bring my friend Sean to the Loving Hut Express food truck on Davie and Pacific. I've been talking about these burgers forever. I CANNOT get enough of them. They are just SO tasty. Sean thought he was going to be a tad disappointed because of how much I talked them up but boy did he like them! I got the Crispy Chick'N and he got the BBQ Onion Ring Cheeseburger. They are my faves so I thought we should get one of each and share bites. Check out their menu here. And go visit them at Davie and Pacific.



I've done a couple reviews though, so check em both out. Here and here.

I would have snapped a shot of us eating our delicacies but we were a tad hung over. So here's one of us all pretty before going out to our friends theme party on Saturday. We were a Prince and Prince-mess. We had a whole back story but its not PG13. 
Prince and Prince-mess
Peace

xoxo

K


3 comments:

  1. I am definitely making this salad tonight. And I definitely want the back story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! I'm sad cuz I was gonna make it again, but then I forgot and made a diff one. Tomorrow it is! and you know where to find me for the story. LOL its funny. :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this salad and make it almost weekly! I always add whatever extra veggies I have lying around. I usually make a big salad hoping for left overs but always end up eating it all myself!

    ReplyDelete