Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mexican Lentil Soup with Black Beans

I have majah love for soups. I make them pretty often and in huge batches. My freezer is always stocked full of them and chili. Even though I'm not 100% gluten free, especially after wine fest, I do try to live as gluten free as possible. I was really in the mood for some Mexican style black bean dish and came up with this delish soup. It is so full of flavour that I cannot even being to describe how amazing it was. I'm usually not wow'ed by my cooking but this one really wow'ed me! Try it!

Mexican Lentil Soup with Black Beans
Ingredients
1 cup red lentils
1 can black beans
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 onion, diced
2 garlic, minced
1 inch piece of ginger, minced
2 jalapeno, minced
2 large tomatoes, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
2 cups veggie stock (Vegeta)
5 cups water

Directions:
1. Cook the lentils in 3 cups of water for 10-15 minutes alone. Then add the black beans and the remaining water. Cook for 10 minutes.
2. Add all remaining ingredients except for the spices and cilantro. Cook for 20 minutes and medium heat.
3. Add spices and cilantro and simmer on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes. The longer you cook, the better it tastes. The lentils get integrated with the soup and the spices take over.

I was pretty much drooling at this point.

My friend Jimmy was a little bit late but not much, and I was SO hungry. So I steamed a head of broccoli, tossed it in some fresh lemon juice and scarfed that down to prevent myself from eating the soup too early. lol Another bonus of this meal is that its a one pot meal! It can totally stand on its own because of the lentils and beans. AND there is no fat in there. Well just a tad, whatever minuscule amount is in the legumes. But I didn't fry anything in oil. Yah!


So there you have it folks!!! This soup was so good! It even satisfied a meat eater. And I mean a meat eater who is a butcher. LOL Now that's saying something! Right? I served it with some brown rice and buckwheat I had left over. And we covered it in sriracha. I couldn't remember if Jimmy likes spicy food so I kept it on the milder side. Well, what I consider mild. Lol that's been proven not to be so mild sometimes. Ooops.

Its International Women's Day today. I hope you are giving the women in your life some loving. Extra special attention I hope. Thanks for stopping by for a read. Maybe make this soup for a lovely lady in your life? She would love a home cooked meal. I can just tell. lol

Peace

xoxo

K


No comments:

Post a Comment