Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A Mexican Fiesta: Chipotle burrito bowl, salsa and guacamole

I am addicted to the burrito bar at Whole Foods on Robson Street. I think about it all the time. So I figured it was about high time that I recreate it so that I can satisfy my craving without breaking the bank. It can turn into an expensive habit you know. Lol

I'll start with the salsa and guacamole, the toppings and make my way to the bowl itself.

Salsa
Ingredients
2 lg tomatoes
1/4 red onion, diced small
1 red pepper
1 jalapeno, minced
1 handful cilantro, minced
1/2 lime, juiced
1/2 tsp sea salt

Directions
1. Slice the tomatoes like you would to put on a sandwich or burger. Then dice into small, even cubes.
2. Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly, taste and add any additional seasonings to your tastes.
3. Enjoy. Seriously. :)

Guacamole
Ingredients
1 avocado
1 jalapeno
1/4 red onion
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp sea salt

Directions
Put all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth. Enjoy.

Salsa and guacamole from scratch. Yum

Chipotle Burrito Bowl
Ingredients
2 cups pinto beans
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
2 small sweet potato, chopped
1/2 red onion
1 carrot, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, minced
1 lime, juiced
2 tsp chili pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 cup veggie stock
3 chipotle peppers, minced
brown rice

Directions
Add sweet potatoes, carrots and onions to pan and saute in a little water for 3 minutes, covered. Add beans, corn, chipotle peppers and veggie stock, cover and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 10 minutes.

Layer your burrito bowl with brown rice, Chipotle pinto beans, guacamole and salsa and Enjoy!!!


And there you have it! The only thing missing from the bowl that whole foods does is the BBQ tofu. Which I must make next time. I thought I had tofu at home, but I don't even have BBQ sauce anyways. They all have so much sugar. I'll have to be on the hunt for the best one. Any recommendations?

I have been searching for gluten free and/or sugar free chipotle peppers for some time now. They are always canned and filled with sugar and wheat. But I found these puppies at my fave local Asian grocery store, West Valley Produce. If you're a Vancouverite, its on Bute street right about at Davie, across from the liquor store. LOVE this place. Good prices. And they have quite a bit of veggie stuff too and almost all my fave Asian items. I've never heard of Morita Chiles but I love trying new foods so I picked these up too. In fact they had so many different dried peppers I'd never heard of. I'm gonna go get more next time. I have no idea what to do with them but it sure is gonna be fun! lol

Then I picked up a couple cans of black beans. I always like to have them handy for those nights when you've forgotten to soak some beans or just need something quick. What I dislike about canned beans is how much salt is in them. These babies have none! Yup, I said it. NONE.




And they're organic! I actually love this brands coconut milk. They have the tiny little 160ml ones and the 70% less fat versions, which I'm a big fan of.

So get on this burrito bowl folks! Its hot hot hot! Ole! lol

Peace

xoxo

K

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! I am trying it tonight! Thanks for the recipe, and thanks for your caring and compassion.
    -k

    ReplyDelete