Monday, February 27, 2012

Recipe Review: Curried Red Lentil Soup with Lemon (Vegetarian Times)

Last night I had a little Oscar party at my place for myself and 3 friends. It was actually my first time watching the whole thing from start to finish. Even the red carpet stuff. Which is the best I think. I love looking at all the outfits. My faves of the night were Gwenyth Paltrow and Mila Jovanich.

Mila Jovanich

Gwenyth Paltrow

Gorgeous! I'm not that into the cape that Gwenyth is wearing but the dress is pure perfection. So classy yet sexy. And same goes for Mila. Love the detail on that dress. I thought the oscar's were relatively well done. Billy Crystal was funny but the commentary was horrific. Like bad. The people were annoying and had trainwreck fashion. LOL 

Back to food, So I got this recipe book from Vegetarian Times and finally made a recipe from it. Well I have but I changed it so much that it turned out completely different. This time I followed it with a few minor changes. 

Curried Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
Ingredients
2 cups red lentils
4 cups water
2 cups veggie stock
1 onion, diced or 1/2 large
4 celery stalks, chopped finely
3 medium sized carrots, chopped finely
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin
1 lemon, juiced

Directions:
1. Bring lentils, broth and 4 cups of water to a simmer in a large pot. Skim away foam that rises to the top. Reduce heat to medium low and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and rise. Put back into the pot with another 2 cups of water and 2 cups of veggie stock.
2. Add onion, celery, carrots. and garlic. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Add cilantro, curry powder and cumin and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add the lemon juice. 


Mmmmm big ole pot of goodness.


I put a little brown rice at the bottom.

So the changes were minor. I used less onion, extra carrots because mine were small, more garlic and I more cilantro I think. But I don't think that would have changed the flavour much from the original. I also used 2 cups of veggie stock vs a quart, because I don't know how much a quart is. And I was lazy to google it. LOL


My friend Lauren brought me flowers!!! What a nice hostess gift. I LOVE getting flowers. I def don't get that enough. I guess that's what happens when you're single. LOL I just buy them myself sometimes. AND I don't think she knew that tulips are my fave. My birthday is coming up so for any of my friends reading....I love flowers and I LOVE tulips!!! Lol.

I put together a veggie tray and made some homemade hummus but forgot to take a pic. I'll post the recipe and a pic of the hummus tomorrow though. Its amazingly easy to make and WAY cheaper and better for you.

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment