Thursday, February 9, 2012

Mexican Stuffed Mushrooms and Calabacitas!

I bought some daiya and salsa over the weekend and have been dying to use it. I've been craving some Mexican food but since I'm wheat/gluten free these days, I needed to come up with a dish that was made with rice. Yah, I know, there's gluten free tortilla's and there are corn tortilla (which I'm learning to love) but I want to do it sans tortilla. I came up with this little gem:

Mexican Stuffed Mushrooms
Ingredients
2 portobello mushrooms
4 roma tomatoes, diced
2 jalapeno's, sliced
1 cup black beans
1 lime, juiced
2 cups dry brown rice, cooked
3 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp chili flakes
2 tsp garlic powder
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, chopped
Daiya

Directions:
1. Scrape and clean the mushrooms, be careful not the break them. Cut the stem out. Preheat oven to 375
2. Saute the onions and garlic in about a 1/4 cup of water for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, jalapeno's, and beans. Cook for 8 minutes.
3. Add the brown rice and the remaining ingredients (except the mushrooms). Turn down the element to medium and cook for 10 minutes. Add another 1/4 cup of water to prevent sticking. 
5. Spoon the refried beans and spread over the bottom of the mushroom. Don't use too much, about 1-2 tbsp. Fill as high as you can go with the rice mixture. Bake for 30 minutes, the last 10 put the daiya on until its melted. Just add enough daiya to coat the top.

Serve with this next yummy Mexican side dish. Ole!

Calabacitas
Ingredients
1/2 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large zucchini, sliced
1 large poblano pepper, chopped
2 cups frozen corn
1 cup black beans
1 lime, juiced
salt and pepper

Directions:
Saute the onions and garlic in 1/4 cup of water for 3 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients except for the lime and salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes then add rest.


Because of the limited ingredients and flavourings in the Calabacitas I was expecting it to be lack luster but still wanted to give it a shot. It was def not lack luster or flavourless. It was delish. I think its usually not supposed to have lime but I find lime to be a key ingredient in Mexican dishes. It was YUM!



There was lots of leftovers. You could totally have enough to stuff 4 mushrooms. I just use the leftovers in my salads or wraps or just eat it on its own.

Yesterday I had tons of roasted veggies leftover from my roasted veggie salad with Kevin so I made a big ass one at work for lunch. Dayum it was good!


Oh man do I love roasted veggies. And it was a nice treat to have yams. They are so yummy. Its funny how tastes change month to month. For a few months I was ALL about green smoothies. I had like 2 a day. Now I'm ALL about salads. Today I had a big craving for a mango so I whipped this sucker up for lunch:



I just sliced up a mango, half a cucumber, some purple cabbage, a few leaves of kale, tossed in a few handfuls of spinach, juiced a lime, a handful of natural almonds and sprinkled a little salt and pepper. This made 2 big salads. AND it was super yummy!!

Happy Eating!

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment