Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A gluten free goddess meal: Spaghetti squash and homemade pasta sauce

I picked up a spaghetti squash a couple days back and finally decided to give it a shot. I've heard of people using spaghetti squash as a noodle substitute and have been so curious to try it. I baked my squash the night before so I could save some time in the preparation. I baked it like I do any other squash, skin up and with no oil. At 375.

Veggie Pasta Sauce
Ingredients
2 small zucchini, diced half moon
1/2 onion
1 carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 handfuls spinach, chopped
6 or 7 mushrooms, sliced
2 large tomatoes
4 roma tomatoes
2 tsp basil
2 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup water
2 tsp tomato paste

Directions:
1. Pulse the 2 large tomatoes in a food processor or blender. If you want to use store bought tomato sauce you can, but this way is better.
3. Pan fry the onions and garlic in 1/4 cup water until translucent. Add the carrots and celery. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cook on medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Taste and add any additional seasonings you like. I found it perfect with just the basil and little bit of salt.
5. Serve with your favorite pasta or with roasted spaghetti squash like me for a nice gluten free meal!


Roasted spaghetti squash
Pot of goodness

A complete meal
I sprinkled some sesame and hemp seeds on top for good measure. So my verdict on spaghetti squash noodles is this: they are good, they feel like noodles in your mouth, they taste good, and are relatively filling but for me, not enough. I did have a cup of quinoa and the pasta sauce after because I was hungry again. I would def do this meal again though, but I'd add something with a little more substance like portobella mushrooms and/or quinoa and/or sweet potatoes. Mmmm sweet potatoes. 

On Monday night for the Bachelor I went to my friend Brooke's house for dins. She made me a gorgeous roasted veggie enchilada dish. OMG it was so damn yummy! And vegan. And gluten free! BAM. I'm not a huge fan of corn tortillas, they can be so dry sometimes but in this dish they were phe-nom!  Brooke got the recipe from here and I got it from her so I can make this again. It would def be one of those meals to cook for an omnivore because its super yummy and filling. Even though its light tasting. 

Here's the pic of Brooke's. YUMMERLY.



Looks good right? I'm so lucky to have such awesome friends. Some people think its such a daunting task to cook/eat with a vegan, but its really not that hard. There are a plethora of veggies out there to eat. With even more combo's to make such yummy, nourishing food. I think I can vouch for that. Lol The only thing Brooke changed in that recipe was that she used Daiya instead of real cheese. Daiya is vegan and allergen free. Its the best fake cheese out there fo sho. 

I'm currently reading 2 books but this one is really fascinating so far. Well they both are but I'm on the whole wheat/gluten free kick so this one is hitting home. Check it out!



Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment