Monday, February 13, 2012

3 Bean Sweet Potato Chili

Sunday's have a home cooked meal feel to them. If you have a significant other, kids, cats, dogs or whatever, you should make them a nice home cooked meal on Sunday's, its just nice. I have none of those things, lol, but whoever I'm with on Sunday's gets one. Yesterday, I was hanging out with my friend Jason and he requested chili. I did just make a big pot recently but honestly, there can never be too much chili in my world. Lol So I went out on Sunday after my run and picked up all the ingredients and made a big pot on the stove and cooked it all afternoon. I think the best way to do chili is to let it cook for hours and hours. All the flavours combine in a magical way to make a tantalizing and full bodied meal. Yum!

3 Bean Sweet Potato Chili
Ingredients
5 1/2 cups mixed beans (black, pinto, navy)
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 jalapenos, sliced
1/2 large onion (or one small)
2 sweet potatoes, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans diced tomatoes (no salt added)
2 cups frozen corn
2 cups water
4-5 tsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp dry veggie stock
2 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp chili flakes
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp Italiano seasoning (veggie seasoning)
Sriracha to taste

Directions:
1. Puree the cans of diced tomatoes in a blender until smooth. I did it this way this time because the tomato sauce I had at my grocery store had corn syrup and sugar in it. I bought canned diced tomatoes with no salt or anything. If you use tomato sauce, just try to get around the same quantity.
2. Pan fry the onions and garlic in 1/4 cup water until translucent. Add the carrots and celery. Cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add the sweet potato, jalapeno, tomatoes, beans and water. Cook on med-high heat for 30 minutes.
4. Toss in the remaining ingredients except for the sriracha and cook on medium heat, stirring semi-frequently for a couple hours. I cooked mine for 4 hours as I did stuff around the apt. Add the sriracha to taste at the end. 
5. Serve with a green leafy salad and ENJOY!!

Mmmmmmmm

Topped with avocado

Side salad

A complete gluten free, vegan meal

I enjoyed this chili a lot actually. I've never made one without using tomato sauce (pasta sauce). I like it this way. Next time I'll just blend up tomatoes for the sauce instead of canned. I did the same for a pasta sauce one time so I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. But if you want it to be convenient, use canned tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans. I used dry beans this time just cause I had them already presoaked and cooked.

The side salad consisted of:
- spinach
- kale
- 1 mango
- cucumber
- sunflower seeds
- hemp seeds
- 1 lime, juiced

Toss all ingredients and serve.

Very nutritious meal. Got tons of fiber, protein, vits and mins. I was tempted to make brown rice to make it a little heartier. I always get nervous when I cook for men because I don't want them going hungry. But I don't think that was a problem at all. And I think he liked it very much, he went back for seconds. J

We also watched The Artist. Its a new movie that's silent! Yes, silent. I loved it! Thought it was beautiful and it totally didn't bother me that there was no talking. It was very old Hollywood. Without the words I payed way more attention to everything. I recommend it. Totally worth seeing. J

PS Jason picked up some vegan ricemilk chocolate!! OMG soooo good. Maybe its bc I haven't had any in weeks but I thought it was yummy. It was like milk chocolate but no dairy!! YES. Try it!


Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment