Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Hump day vegucation


I had dinner at Kevin's house last night after 1.5 hour workout at the gym. I have been switching up my routines and trying to get stronger, especially my upper body. I'm doing Tough Mudder in June and need to have the ability to do 6 pull ups. I think I've talked about this before. So I've been searching online and using all sorts of sources to put together workouts for myself. I've been quite sore the last 2 weeks. Lol. 

That being said, I was SUPER hungry when I got to Kevin's. And we all know what happens then; I don't take a picture. But it sure was delish. He made an udon noodle stir fry with tons of veggies and tofu. With a black bean, lemon sauce. I had seconds. Tasty stuff right there.

Since I didn't cook last night, and I didn't cook the night before I was wracked with what I would blog about. Which is funny because I'm such a chatty person, who would have thought I would run out of things to say. Lol I did not. 

I came across this article the other day and thought it was quite interesting. Its about kale. Which is a green leafy vegetable that should be eaten as much as possible, if not daily. I LOVE kale. I eat it pretty regularly. I put it in my green smoothies, stir fries, stuffed squash or mushrooms, steamed, baked, um, well almost everything. Its super good for you.

It provides the 7 reasons why you should eat kale. They are (taken directly from the article):
1. Anti-inflammatory: Inflammation is the number one cause of arthritis, heart disease and a number of autoimmune diseases, and is triggered by the consumption of animal products. Kale is an incredibly effective anti-inflammatory food, potentially preventing and even reversing these illnesses.
2. Iron: Despite the myth that vegetarians are anemic, the number of non-vegetarians with iron-deficiencies is on the rise. Per calorie, kale has more iron than beef.
3. Calcium: Dairy and beef both contain calcium, but the U.S. still has some of the highest rates of bone loss and osteoporosis in the world. Kale contains more calcium per calorie than milk (90 grams per serving) and is also better absorbed by the body than dairy.
4. Fiber: Like protein, fiber is a macronutrient, which means we need it every day. But many Americans don't eat nearly enough and the deficiency is linked to heart disease, digestive disorders and cancer. Protein-rich foods, like meat, contain little to no fiber. One serving of kale not only contains 5 percent of the recommended daily intake of fiber, but it also provides 2 grams of protein.
5. Omega fatty acids: Essential Omega fats play an important role in our health, unlike the saturated fats in meat. A serving of kale contains 121 mg of omega-3 fatty acids and 92.4 mg of omega-6 fatty acids.
6. Immunity: Superbugs and bacteria are a serious risk to our health. Many of these come as a result of factory farm meat, eggs and dairy products. Kale is an incredibly rich source of immune-boosting carotenoid and flavanoid antioxidants including vitamins A and C.
7. Sustainable: Kale grows to maturity in 55 to 60 days versus a cow raised for beef for an average of 18-24 months. Kale can grow in most climates and is relatively easy and low impact to grow at home or on a farm. To raise one pound of beef requires 16 pounds of grain, 11 times as much fossil fuel and more than 2,400 gallons of water.

Very interesting right? Get some kale folks. Its also got lots of protein. And a ton of other vits and mins. The list is huge. 

Eat only the leaves, the stalks aren't easily digested. Throw some in a stir fry or anyway that you use spinach. Some people aren't down to eat it raw. If you are, the trick is the massage it with a little bit of oil and salt. I like it cooked the most, but raw is delish too. I never massage it with oil or salt as I watch my consumption of those 2 items. 

I didn't put it in my smoothie this morning as I steamed the last I had on Monday night to go along with my leftovers dinner but I used spinach.

Banana, carrot, pear, spinach, chia, hemp, spirulina, lime, water

Salad and soup! My Thai Curried Split Pea Soup
And yes, that is a dollop of hot sauce in my soup. Lol I don't leave home without it! 

Tonight I'm making my first risotto from scratch. Its from the book The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone. I've only made a few of her recipes but they have been good. I only didn't like one, the adzuki bean and squash stew. Not for me. This recipe I'm making has mushrooms and peas but I'm going to use edamame because I'm not a huge fan of just straight up peas. I don't hate them, just not a huge fan. Plus edamame has lots of protein and iron.

For a good laugh, check out the 10 naughtiest vegetables on earth here. I cried I laughed so hard. Those veggies need a spanking! lol

Peace

xoxo

K

2 comments:

  1. I think I need a Kevin in my life to make me a nice meal after a workout!! I give you credit for rocking out 1.5 hours!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!

    This soup looks amazing!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, oh darn! I think they just sold out at Costco! ;) Sometimes I do a 2 hour workout! BAM. lol Make that soup girl. Its soooooo delish! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete