Friday, December 2, 2011

Daily Life

I always get asked "where do you get your protein from?" and "what do you eat?" when people find out I'm vegan. Obviously the people close to me don't ask these questions anymore. I've educated them enough about veggie protein and nutrient content. Plus they know how anal and obsessive I get about things so they know I researched the shit outta it. This lunch that I will show you below is packed with protein and lots of vits and minerals. Its also jam packed with fiber. Well I guess my whole diet is jam packed with fiber. lol

I had dinner at Kevin's last night and he made a delish chili served over brown rice. I normally take a pic of all food I eat but I was so famished after my new work out routine that I forgot. Bah! So I thought I'd be all outta stuff to blog about today. SO I thought I'd share what I eat for lunch.

Veggies and Delicata Hummus
There's protein in the hummus from the chickpeas. A serving of celery also offers 1 gram...same with carrots. And the Delicata squash has 2 grams in a serving. I've never been one to be concerned with getting enough protein. There are almost no instances of ppl having a protein deficiency. Its usually iron or B12 you hear about. But the majority of ppl out there think that meat is the only source of protein. Silly isn't it?

Carrot and Red Lentil Soup w/ lots of garlic chili sauce
A nice light, healthy lunch that is quite filling actually. The soup has a lot of "weight" to it because of the lentils. I made this a while back but never posted a recipe. I think I know the recipe, or I can at least guess. Its a good ole slow cooker recipe so its nice and easy.

Lentils also pack a good protein punch. They have about 13 grams in a 1/4 cup!!! Among all the other vits and mins its got. SO needless to say, if you go Vegetarian or Vegan or Flexitarian or Pescetarian or Healtitarian (I just made that up. lol) you will be good to go for protein if you eat a varied diet that's high in fruits, veggies (green leafy!), beans, legumes, and nuts and seeds. 


Carrot and Red Lentil Soup
Ingredients
2 cups red lentils
10 carrots
3 cups Veggie stock (Vegeta)
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves
pepper
No salt added veggie seasoning (Costco)
1 tsp Coriander
1 bay leaf

Directions:
Add all ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on low for 10 hours. Once cooked, remove bay leaf and process until smooth with a hand blender or blender.

NOTE: this would also be good with curry spices. 

PS: I'M GOING TO JAY Z AND KANYE WEST!!! OMG I'm SO excited I might pee. So now I'm going to Prince and Jay Z and Kanye in ONE weekend. WOW seriously dreams really do come true! 

Go Veg!

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment