Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Refried beans

I love refried beans. They are SO delish. I never really thought that you could make them at home. It just wasn't one of those food items that I thought would be easy to make. BOI was I wrong! They are so effin easy. Especially if you have a slow cooker. 

K’s Refried Beans
2 cups pinto beans
4.5 cups water
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
4 tbsp tomato paste
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
2 tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp sea salt

Directions:
Put all ingredients into a slow cooker. Make sure there’s enough water to cover the beans by a few inches. Cook on low for 10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Once fully cooked, remove bay leaves mash them with a potato masher or blend with a hand blender (easiest). Add more salt and pepper to taste.

TIP: Add jalapeno peppers for a kick

I eat them on their own, with salsa, in a Mexican salad, as a dip, in burritos or quesadilla's, etc etc etc.

This time it was in a salad.


I put red leaf lettuce, celery, TruRoots Organic Sprouted Bean Trio, refried beans, salsa, and freshly squeeze lime.

Normally I would have everything in there, like broccoli, carrots, corn, jalapenos.....etc BUT I forgot. I also put chopped green onions on top after I took the pic. :(

NOTE: they do freeze well. So if you have leftovers or aren't into eating refried beans daily like I am them by all means freeze them and let your worries fade.

I don't know if I've mentioned this but last week I decided I am going to do Tough Mudder with a group of friends. They say its probably the toughest event on the planet. I need to be able to do 6 pull ups in a row by June 23rd. So far I'm at ZERO! LOL They are SO hard! I'm not sure how its even possible for me to do one but I'm going to keep trying. On Monday at the gym I started a new routine. HOLY CRAP! Its so hard. I'm pretty damn sore and tight. But not that bad cuz I upped my Chlorella. (Promotes cell regeneration therefore speeding up recovery time). 

I used the assisted pull up machine at the gym. Had a bit of an audience which made me giggle which then made me unable to do anything. LOL We had a cheerleader too. A guy was encouraging us to keep at it. Lol.  Oh and I will. This new goal is awesome because I was SO bored at the gym. I needed a new routine and motivation to work harder. And boy have I been working out harder. I've been sore since Friday night. (yes, I work out on Friday nights sometimes).

Diet will stay the same. Other than stopping eating everything in sight, which I have been since Thursday. Sigh. Still doing about 32-38 ounces of green smoothies every day and one big salad. And I've been cutting back on the booze, although its the XMAS season now so the holiday bevvies have begun. Starting tonight. I'm taking the night off as my muscles need time to regenerate. Or if the party blows then I might sneak out early for a evening workout. We shall see. Once wine hits these lips......you never can tell what's gonna happen. :)

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment