Tuesday, November 1, 2011

30 Day Vegan Health Challenge

Alrighty peeps, time to buckle down. Its full on fall now. Its chilly and we're sad summer is over and now Christmas is coming. You might already have packed on 5 lbs from cozying up on the couch with your hunny and carbo loading. BUT fear not, this challenge will WHIP you into shape. And make you beam with healthiness. Today when I went to my local Vitamin store, the lady said I looked like the picture of health.LOL Try this and you too could be the picture of health!

30 Day Vegan Health Challenge:
§  This is a whole foods health challenge. The trick is to eat little to no processed foods.
§  Start the day with hot water with a freshly squeezed lemon
§  Eat/drink at least 32 oz of green smoothies a day. Can be a meal replacement, snack or part of a meal
§  No white flours, sugars, or potatoes
§  Avoid all caffeinated beverages other than green tea (no pop or juice!)
§  Consume as much of fresh produce as possible, trying to eat 50-60% of your daily diet in a raw form. (try eating a salad with every meal or having a salad AS your meal once a day, snack on raw fruits and veggies, smoothies, etc)
§  Eat WHOLE grains instead of bread, pasta, or noodles. (Brown rice, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, rolled oats, etc)
§  Eat beans and other legumes daily, tofu 1-2 times per week
§  You will eat every 2-3 hrs
§  The key here is to eat WHOLE foods. Obviously I am vegan, and this is a vegan challenge BUT if you aren’t going to do it veganlly then eat meat. But NO dairy. And NO processed meats. Stick to actual chicken, fish eggs or whatever meat you eat.
§  Try to avoid premade sauces and dressings. It’s very easy to make your own. I make my own with fresh lemon or lime juice, mirin, soy, apple cider vinegar, and spices.


Exercise
§  I commit to exercising 5-6 times a week: 3 days of weight training and 5-6 days of cardio training. (I already do this, just not that many days of weights)
Other
I am not bold enough to post before/after pictures or my weight. BUT I will do it for myself and let you know the progress I have made (if any!)
I will post recipes and the menu plans of the foods I eat throughout the day so that you can get some ideas on what you should eat.
I will weigh myself only once a week and take measurements to see if I took off any inches or gained some muscle.
The Plan
Day 1: As I am starting this challenge after having made a load of vegan junk food. I am going to give myself this day to half ass it. Lol. I finished my vegan mac and chreese for lunch along with a salad, so not all that bad. Plus I have some coconut yogurt left to finish.

Breakfast: ½ serving VEGA Whole Food Health Optimizer (Berry Flavour) mixed with water, I cup homemade granola, ½ pint fresh raspberries, 3 tbsp’s strawberry coconut yogurt and a sprinkling of hemp seeds

Snack: 1 bosc pear

Lunch: 2 cups leftover vegan mac and chreese, I bowl salad with broccoli slaw, radishes and carrots. Topped with a soy sesame lime dressing
Dressing: 1 fresh lime, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 5 tbsp mirin, splash sesame oil, sprinkling sesame seeds and garlic powder

Snack: Green apple or more salad

Dinner: Roasted Delicata squash (no oil) stuffed with black beans, corn, tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, lemon, cilantro and chili powder.

(I haven’t made it yet, so it might vary slightly, but that’s the plan; recipe in tomorrow’s post)

Snack: 8 oz Green smoothie: mixed berries, 1 cup water, 1 tsp spirulina powder, ¼ avocado, 1 cup freshly made veggie juice

EXERCISE PLAN: Run on treadmill for 1 hour, 15 leg work out (squats, lunges, etc)

Day 2:
Breakfast: ½ serving VEGA Whole Food Health Optimizer (Berry Flavour) mixed with water, 16 oz green smoothie: 1 banana, 1 bosc pear (peeled and cored), 1 cup mixed berries, 1 tsp spirulina powder, 1 cup water, 1 cup freshly made veggie juice (previous night).

Snack: roasted delicata squash

Lunch: Salad with broccoli slaw, radishes and carrots topped with sesame soy dressing and a bowl of chickpea veggie chili.

Dressing: 1 fresh lime, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 5 tbsp mirin, splash sesame oil, sprinkling sesame seeds and garlic powder

Snack: roasted delicata squash

Dinner: Steamed greens: baby bok choy, kale, broccoli with fresh lemon, garlic and vegeta. Put on top of brown rice or quinoa

Snack: 1 cup mixed berries, 1 tsp spirulina powder, ¼ avocado,1 bosc pear (peeled and cored), 1 cup water

EXERCISE PLAN: Run on treadmill for 1 hour or 45 minutes treadmill, 15 step machine (sigh)

So there you have it. My plan for the next 30 days, and a meal plan for today and tomorrow. I will continue to update you with meal plans that I'm following. And with my exercise routine. I did a 45 minute run last night and about a 45 minute weight training sesh too. I'm going to do the weigh in and measurements tomorrow. 

Now hopefully, because I've made this public this means I will stick to it. Eeekbestie's wedding with my other bestie. We're both health nuts so it shouldnt' be a problem. As you will notice, there isn't a "no alcohol" clause in my plan. I like alcohol and will continue to drink it throughout just in moderation. There will be no moderation for Vegas BUT before and after there will be. I'm going to bring all my protein powders and spirulina and chlorella to keep detoxed and healthified BUT I'm gonna party!!! You can still have fun and be healthy, I swear. 

Till tomorrow!

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment