Saturday, October 8, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 8: Chana Masala with Acorn Squash

I love Indian food. Its so full of flavour. I'm also in love with chickpeas. I pretty much always have them on hand. If there's hummus in my house.........well there never is cuz I gobble it up pretty fast. I usually make my own, its so easy, but when I'm lazy I will buy it.

I wanted to make Chana Masala with spinach but I didn't have any. But I did have an acorn squash in my fridge. So I roasted that and used it in my recipe.

Chana Masala with Acorn Squash

Ingredients:
1 green chili
1 inch ginger
2 garlic cloves
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 tbsp tomato sauce
1 acorn squash, roasted
1 can chickpeas
salt to taste

Directions:

1. Roast the squash for 35 minutes at 350
2. Put ginger, chili and garlic in food processor and process until fine
3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pan, add onion and cook for 4 minutes.
4. Add ginger mixture and chickpeas, cook for 5 minutes with 1/4 cup water
5. Add all the spices and 300ml of water, cook for 5 minutes. Add the paste and tomato sauce.
6. Scrape out squash and add to chickpeas. Stir occasionally. Taste to see if you need to add anymore spices or salt.
7. Serve over brown rice.

Yum! Its almost ready


DELISH!!! That's just green onion for decoration purposes

.

This meal was very satisfying if I must say so. I love how versatile squash is. Who knew it would work so well with this dish. You almost don't even know its there. It adds a little sweetness and heartiness to keep you warm and full all night.

I'm off to Victoria now to run my FIRST ever half marathon. If you don't know, that's 21km. Eeekk, I'm getting pretty nervous. But I'm sure I'll be fine. I'm hoping to finish in 2 hours 30 minutes. I'd rather do it in 2 hours but realistically I'm guessing 2.5 hours.

Its also Thanksgiving this weekend. I have done nothing to prepare for it. My Japanese side will not be celebrating it traditionally. I believe its a Japanese smorgasbord of deliciousness.

Hope everyone has some good food babies this weekend. I'll see what I can throw together for Monday's feast and let yah know.

Peace

xoxo

K

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Squash is the perfect addition to chana masala! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Chana Masala! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete