Friday, October 7, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 7: Greens and Grains



Sometimes when I'm just cooking for me and/or I've feel like I need to get back to square one I steam some greens and cook up some grains. I feel like cooking a simple meal with very nutrient dense ingredients centers me. Its also good for the digestion to eat liquid meals or meals that are very easily digested.

Greens and Grains

Ingredients:
2 baby bok choy
4 kale stalks, leaves removed
4 tbsp coconut meat
1 lemon
2 tbsp soy sauce
splash sesame oil
Sriracha
1 cup dry quinoa
1/2 tsp dulse flakes

Directions:
1. Cook quinoa according to the package. Add dulse flakes once cooked and removed from heat.
2. In a large pan or wok, add the bok choy and kale with 1/4 cup water, cover and cook until bright green. About 2-3 minutes.
3. Add remaining ingredients, stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
4. Serve on top of quinoa. Add more Sriracha if you want.



Dulse is a sea vegetable (seaweed). It is a good source of calcium, zinc, manganese, potassium, iron, and magnesium. It is also high in iodine which I talked about before. We need it for our thyroid. It has a strong flavour, so add it in moderation so that it doesn't change the taste of what you're cooking. I bought mine at Famous Foods on Kingsway. I hardly use it because I forget its in my cupboard. But now that I know its there I'm going to start using it again. 

There's quinoa under there, I swear
I'm a  bowl gurl. I have 14 bowls in my kitchen. With many more in my future. I don't like eating off plates but sometimes I need to for the pictures sake. 

You can add or use any other greens you like. If I had broccoli I would've thrown it in too, but I didn't. And in case you're thinking that I'm starving myself over here, withering away cuz I'm only eating greens and grains, you couldn't be farther from the truth. I did make some veggie dumplings I picked up from T&T but I didnt' take a pic. I ate this dish first then made the dumplings. 

Tonight I think I'm feeling some Indian food......Channa Masala it is. I always have chickpeas in the house. YUM. Tonight will also be my last run before D Day. The Victoria half marathon is Sunday October 9th at 730am!!! Say wha? So early. How the heck am I gonna get up and eat before running 21km. I can only get up so early. That's intense. We shall see how that all works out. Lol

Thankfully, this weekend is a long one. Yah! Love them. I love being vegan when its holiday time. Everyone runs from party to party and offices get bombarded with baked goods making everyone gain their 5-10 winter pounds, while I stay the same. (I hope!!). People always try to peer pressure you into eating "just one" cookie or whatever, and now instead of just saying no I can say no because they're not vegan! Woot woot!

I'm not sure what I'm going to make for Thanksgiving. I was thinking I'd just pick up a Tofurkey and make the sides vegan, which is SO easy, but I'm thinking maybe the Veggie Walnut Loaf or some seitan or tempeh. We shall see.

Happy Friday folks! Have a great time making food babies and sleeping it off in your food coma's. I'll just be running 21km's then napping. Lol

Peace

xoxo

K

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Where do you find young coconut meat in Vancouver? I live downtown.

    Thanks!
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christie!!! I've actually never used fresh coconut meat before. But I have bought coconut meat from "The Gathering Place". http://www.gatheringplacetrading.com/ You can buy their products online or at Famous Foods, Drive organics, and Nestors among other places.

    Sometimes I see them at No Frills on Denman but that's all i've seen. Another place I would check is Orangic Lives. They're on Quebec St.

    ReplyDelete