Thursday, October 20, 2011

Vegan MoFo Day 20: Vegan Corn Chowder with Kale


There's nothing like a bowl of soup on a cold night. I had a craving for corn chowder and decided to give it a try. I've never been a huge fan of creamy soup but there's something so comforting about them. I watched Eat St back in August or September and it featured this food truck that made "bunny chow". Bunny Chow is a South African dish that consists of a hollowed out loaf of bread with curry inside. Well, as soon as I saw that I immediately thought YUM and of Tim Horton's chili in a bread bowl. And my obsession begins......now. lol

Kevin made me curry in a bread bowl already which is phe-nom FYI. I figured corn chowder would be amazing in it also. 

PS: I  bought the biggest phallic symbol in IGA for this soup. Effin hilarious.
That is one BIG carrot

Vegan Corn Chowder with Kale

Ingredients:
1 giant carrot (or 2 small ones)
1/2 onion. chopped
2 stalk kale, leaves removed
2 red potatoes, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup almond milk
4 cups water
2 tsp Vegeta
1/2 tsp sea salt
pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp parsley
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Earth Balance
1 tsp cornstarch with water

Directions:
1. Saute onions in Earth Balance. Add carrots once fragrant.
2. Cook carrots and onions on high for 2 minutes. Add all remaining ingredients except almond milk, thyme, parsley and garlic powder.
3. Cook on medium-high temperature until potatoes and carrots are soft.
4. Add spices, almond milk and cornstarch and cook for 3 minutes or until soup thickens.
5. Fill your bowl or your bun and ENJOY.


TIP: Sprinkle Daiya cheese on top and bake for 5 minutes. YUMMM

Kevin got 2 cuz he's a man who needs more food. LOL

I served it with a great little side salad. Romaine, radishes, cucumber, carrot and sunflower seeds with an Asian style dressing. Soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil and half a lemon. DELISH.

The multigrain whole wheat buns I got were small but perfect for just me. I didn't have time to go to Cobs to pick up something more suitable. But they worked quite well and it looked cute with 2 on the plate anyways. 

I'm not sure what I'll make tonight. Its hard to come up with a new meal for every day of the week. So we'll see what I can come up with for tomorrows post.

Happy Cooking MoFo's!

Peace

xoxo

K

3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious...based on what I have on hand and need to use, I think I'll skip the carrot and use sweet potatoes instead of red potatoes. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE everyone WATCH earthlings and gary yourofsky on youtube PLEASE and PLEASE go vegan it's better for us it's better for the animals and it's better for the planet that we live on and be careful sugar is not vegan because of the bone char just search online for vegan sugar brands or just call the company or e mail them and ask them if they use bone char and be careful with the products that contain sugar just read the ingredients btw evaporated cane juice is vegan

    ReplyDelete