Monday, October 3, 2011

Taste of Health review

October 2, 2011 was the annual Taste of Health fare down at the Roundhouse in Yaletown. It was my first year and I loved it! Full of great peeps, TONS of info and really cool vender's. My only complaint is there should be more food! Not that I wasn't full I'm just greedy like that. I get so excited when I can eat everything.

My mission for the event was simple: get a vegan cupcake. Mission accomplished. I not only had one there but then I bought 6 to take home. I told a friend I would try to have the willpower to save him one (which I did) but man was that hard. The cupcakes I picked up were bite size. That makes it so easy to eat a ton. But since I just got a very tight new dress for a friends wedding, refraining was something that had to be done for the greater good.

That's me with my tiny cupcake! It was Vanilla and amazing! It is from Sprout Vegan Bakery . I highly recommend that you try them. Vegan baking is phe-nom.

Aren't they just the cutest! There once was 6 in this container, but well, I ate one. And more after the pic. I saved 3 for tonight. In this container was 3 cheesecakes and 3 cupcakes. I can't remember the flavours but pumpkin was one of them for sure. Quite tasty.

Look at my haul! My cupcakes, a miso ginger dressing, coconut meat, hemp seeds and tons of info and recipes! There were some classes I'd like to attend too. I'm pretty stoked on the coconut meat. It was from The Gathering Place .

"The Gathering Place Trading Company is a family owned business located on Cortes Island, British Columbia, Canada. The company, owned by Lovena and Ryan Harvey, is committed to organic farming, sustainability, and social responsibility."

My friend Nikki and I thought this was such a great Company that we had to buy something. They search out farms and people who don't get help from local governments and are struggling and help them. They give back to children and schools within those communities. We got 2 bags of coconut meat for $5!! I can't wait to use it. She let us sample some and let me tell you: packed FULL of flavour.

I would really like to try their Sea Salt with Kelp. The single biggest benefit of kelp is iodine.   Kelp is a huge, organic source of iodine, and its iodine that allows for proper endocrine system function.

I also sampled some food from Organic Lives . It is a raw vegan restaurant that is also gluten and wheat free. Its pretty amazing. I had the pizza with a side Caesar salad. Omg. YUM. I love raw veggie bread. Its dehydrated and glorious. Nikki and Kevin tasted it and loved it too. Unfort I was too eager and gobbled it up before I thought to take a pic. Typical Krystle. :(

Nikki got the pecan sushi. And wow. This sushi is a diff spin on the sushi we all know and love in Vancouver. This has no rice. Its got a veggie pate in the middle and filled with sprouts and other veggies. Mmmmmm.

There was so much more to taste and not enough room in my belly. Daiya was there! omg they had grilled cheese sammiches!! and quesidilla's!! Gawd I love Daiya.

I watched one cooking demo on how to make your own nut milk. We were giggling at the girl because she was having such a hard time with the head set. We're such a-hole's. Lol I think maybe some lesson's from Ms Spears might help. Ha.

And we went to one talk. It was Adam Hart: Discovering the Power of food. He was OK. He was more talking about loving yourself and that kinda talk. He talked a lot but didn't say a whole lot. I guess he just wanted you to buy his book. He did say something that resonated with me. He said there's 2 types of food. Alive and Dead. That meant something to me. Its true. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense why people always feel tired and lethargic in the afternoons or can't live without coffee in the morning. Well, when all the food you eat is dead food (meat, dairy, processed crap) then you will feel dead. If you eat a diet rich in living foods (fruits, veggies, legumes and grains) then you will feel alive. Duh.

So, all in all I had a great time at the Taste of Health fare. And I can't wait to go back next year!

Peace

xoxo

K

No comments:

Post a Comment