Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mexican Fiesta! Ole!

Tonight I caught up with my friend Brooke. We do our favorite things: run, eat and chat. We ran from her place in Yaletown around to Science World past to the Burrard Street Bridge. Went over it and back to Yaletown. Took 1 hour. Man I was tired. Brooke is another one of my friends who loves to chat while they run. When we're finished she looks like she glistening and I look.....lets just say sweaty. She has great lungs. lol Its good practice for me to talk while I do long runs like that. Maybe it'll work out my lungs and I'll get greater lung capacity.........or is that wishful thinking? lol
Look at all those delish ingredients. When I make this at my place I use my homemade refried beans. I'll post that recipe later. Its easy breezy, cover girl.
Brooke made me a recipe of my own. Mexican Lasagna. Lasagna is very labour intensive, vegan or not, BUT it's always worth it, no?

Mexican Lasagna
4 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 can corn
2 large tortillas
3 cups refried beans, about 28 ounces
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tsp chili powder
½ tsp cumin
1 pkg veggie ground round (Ives) or 1 can black beans
2 cups salsa
1 can enchilada sauce
1 pkg daiya cheese

Preheat oven to 375 F
Saute carrots, garlic, onion and corn for about 3 minutes or until soft. Add spices and set aside.
Cook the veggie ground round with the tomatoes and 1 cup of salsa until warm, about 5 minutes.
Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Line the bottom with a layer of tortillas (you will have to cut them to fit). Make sure you cover the whole pan.
Spread the refried beans over the tortillas. Cover the refried beans with half of the veggie mixture. Cover the veggie mixture with the ground round.
Add another layer of tortillas and repeat the layers if it fits in your pan. It did not in mine, so I did another layer of refried beans, a layer of salsa then topped with Daiya.
Bake for 40 minutes covered, and 10 minutes uncovered. Let stand for about 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!
Isn't it beautiful? She did SUCH a great job! In all seriousness, you need to make this. Its pretty effin tasty.
We also watched my fave show: Big Brother 13. It was a great episode for me because having Jordan and Rachael off the block means revenge for Shelly's betrayal. Shelly was evicted, thankfully and HoH was an endurance competition so we don't know who is the new HoH. Well I do because I read the spoilers. Its who I predicted and I could NOT be more happy. Like wow, I yelled out YESSS!! alone in my apartment. LOL I'm obsessed.










Have you tried these? Spicy Nuts! lol They are SO good. Don't eat the numbing peppercorns. So yummy. You can get them at T&T Supermarket or any other Asian grocery store.
Well, I'm off now. I need to finish packing for my weekend getaway. ha. Its 2 friends birthdays this weekend. One of the, my bestie Kevin is in IBIZA. What an asshole hey? lol He's having the time of his life. Can't wait to here all about it. Happy Birthday Kevin!
My Jams: Armind Van Bouren ft Nadia Ali - feels so good, Jay Z and Kanye - Gotta have it, Kid Cudi - T.G.I.F (Thank god I'm fresh) and Example - Changed the way you kissed me.
Peace!
xoxo
K

No comments:

Post a Comment