Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Reunited and it feels so good!

Last night I hung out with my dear friend Mike. J'adore my hot friend.  Even though we don't see each other often, its like time hasn't passed. We pick up right where we left off.

He's a fitness fanatic like me so we went on a 10km run after he did a workout at the gym. One thing that is different about running with Mikey is that he doesn't run with his ipod and loves to chat. I like to run with my ipod. lol My life is a dance party and music is my religion. It keeps me going, makes me feel good, gets me pumped, all the good stuff. So running and having a full conversation was a little trying. But its kinda refreshing yah know?

Here we are! Look at how gorge he is. You can see his chesticles rippling through his shirt. LOL



Anyways, onto the good stuff. And by good stuff I mean food. ha. I made us a feast. I'm pretty obsessed with portobello mushrooms lately (I ate them 3 days last week!!) And when I cook for a guy, I try to make sure I pack as much protein as I can so that they are satisfied. I made these lovely recipes:

Roasted Portobello Mushrooms

Scrape out the black underbelly of the mushroom and cut the stalk out if you desire. Depending on how much garlic and how many mushrooms you're cooking, Mix minced garlic, olive oil, sea salt and pepper together and brush the inside and outside of the mushroom with it.

Note: For 4 mushrooms I used 3 cloves of garlic and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle sea salt and pepper.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Red fried rice with sprouted beans:

2 cups uncooked red rice
2 cups uncooked sprouted bean mixture (TruRoots Organics of you can just use lentils)
1 inch piece ginger, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 large onion (or 1/2 small), chopped
2 green onions, sliced
2 tsp chili flakes
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp salt
pepper
1 cup veggie stock
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp tahini (optional)

1. Cook the rice and beans separately according to their packages.
2. Heat oil and add garlic, ginger and onion and cook till translucent
3. Add cooked rice, beans and veggie stock and cook for 3 minutes
4. Add remaining ingredients and cook for another 5 minutes
5. Serve and ENJOY!


I topped ours with steamed spinach with garlic. There sure was a lot of garlic!! Nobody is getting sick here. And seriously, you MUST make these mushrooms, this dish is to DIE for. I'm addicted to fungus. HA

This meal has plenty of protein, fiber, and micronutrients. They have about 5 grams per mushroom! That's a lot for a fungus, no? We had 2 each. YUM. Spinach is packed with Vit A, calcium, iron, and Vit C but is high in oxalic acid which makes the absorption of calcium a tad difficult for the body. But not impossible. Red rice that I use is Bhutanese. Its red japonica rice and is red because the bran is left on. Its delicious and has about 5 grams of protein per serving. That with the sprouted beans from TruRoots Organic and we are talking MAJAH protein and fiber galore. Smooth sailing today.

I picked these babies up at Costco. God I love costco. But I dont' drive so holla so we can mutually use each other. Me for your car, you for my costco card....yah?

Back to my evening with Mikey. Have you ever played Bananagrams? Omg, so fun! Well, if you like word games, which I DO! Its like scrabble but harder. AND best part is, it comes in a banana pouch. Mikey took a great pic of me, but I haven't received it yet. Oh well. Mike just got back from Korea and true to his fashion forward style picked up these baddass Jesus sandals. Man these are hilar.
I gotta give it to him though, they were comfy!


My jams: David Guetta ft Niki Minaj - Turn me on, David Guetta ft Jennifer Hudson (or J-Hud) - Night of your life and Dragonette - Liar

REPEAT

xoxo

K

2 comments:

  1. This post was just awesome.
    1. You are adorable. And your friend is very handsome!
    2. AWESOME recipes. I've been craving mushrooms lately.
    3. When are we going to meet up, woman?

    Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're awesome!! Next week! next week! I sent you an email. Lets do this.
    Krystle

    ReplyDelete