Monday, August 29, 2011

Figs and Finito Soup

I'm on such a peanut butter kick right now. I LOVE it! I dip my blueberries, cantaloupe and strawberries in it. Once I've finished my toast that is.  This is how I ate it this morning: Whole grain Squirrelly Bread, peanut butter, hemp seeds and sliced strawberries. Mmmmmm


Nice little nutritious breaky to start just another manic monday.

Today I tried my FIRST fresh fig. Wow, those little suckers look funny! I noticed them this wknd at the grocery store and thought I should pick them up, but I forgot....as usual. Anyhoo, a friend at work brought some in fresh from her tree! How cool is that?! I seriously didn't want to eat it once I got a look at what it looks like inside. It looks like an alien! I think I can still feel it trying to climb its way back out. LOL (don't my nails look awesome! pink shatter! loves it)

That being said, I am now fascinated with them. I stole 4 from her and am stoked to create something delish. I'm thinking of roasting them and making a spread to put on crostini's. We shall see. :)

Here's a recipe for an Italian inspired soup I made last week. I took it to my work for a potluck of soup and salad and it got a good reception.

Finito Soup:

1 cups dry lima beans
1 cup great northern beans
2 large carrots, diced
4 stalks of kale
2 inch piece of fresh ginger root, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 large zucchini, diced
1 can diced tomatoes or 2 large tomatoes, chopped
2 cups veggie stock
2 cups water
3 bay leaves
1 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 tsp turmericBottom of Form
1/2 tsp ground cumin
pinch cayenne or to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced

Directions:
1.       Soak the beans overnight or up to twelve hours
2.       Drain and rinse beans before transferring into the crockpot
3.       Add all ingredients to the crockpot and cook for 10 hours
4.       Enjoy!

Very nutritious soup. Lima beans are crazy full of protein and fiber. 1 cup of those beans gives you about 11 grams of protein and 8 grams of fiber! This recipe is super easy. I am obsessed with my crockpot. Throw everything in there in the morn and come home to your place smelling absolutely DELISH! and dins is ready.

I gotta give a credit where credit is due. My buddy Nandan was so stoked on the idea of me creating a blog that he has pestered me daily for....god I don't even know, June probs. So Nandan, I hope you are following it. you better! or you know what will happen. lol Even though I was def going to start one, he said I had to because I made him make a video during the playoffs.

Here's the vid, its pretty awesome. If you don't know the song, its by Get Set Go, who have been featured on an old episode of Grey's Anatomy: "I hate everyone" is the song name. This vid is to another one of their tracks "Die Motherfucker Die" (pardon my language):


So thanks Nandan for making this awesome vid. And kicking my ass into gear.

Cheers,

xoxo

K

1 comment:

  1. Well it took ya long enough!!! Glad you finally got it started though. Told you I was going to make you stick to your word about this blog after you harassed me about making that slideshow.

    ReplyDelete